Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A`few questions about my new Model 6 please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A`few questions about my new Model 6 please?

My Model 6 arrived today and given that it was an ebay deal ($330 BIN) I was expecting a few surprises. Overall it is in good shape with just a bunch of small surface nicks but no real dings or chips. There is some cracking of the clear coat and finish by the nut but still overall a great deal.

The Jackson pickups are stock but the wiring is a mess and the mid-boost has been removed. I will eventually purchase a Schaller or original Floyd and some new pups. I am leaning towards my favorite at the bridge-the Duncan Full Shred and two Hot Rails for the single coils.

This will not happen for a while so my questions are:

-Can the Jackson J-200 single coils still be used without the mid-boost and how will they sound?

-Any real issues with replacing the Jackson tremolo to a Schaller or Floyd? Are the real Floyds worth that huge price increase or will a Schaller or even a Might Mite still be better than that Jackson tremolo?

-Last but not least (and I hope that I am not breaking any forum rules with this) I am missing one of the three black knobs. Any suggestions as to were to buy one?

Re: A`few questions about my new Model 6 please?

The pickups will work without the mid-boost. They're passive so they'll work without it just like a Duncan will.

I don't believe there are any major issues with dropping a Floyd or Schaller in place of the JT-6. I've never done it myself. But there are a few threads in the tech section about it. Just do a search.

As far as the knobs, I'm sure that any parts store will have the black knobs. Some places have a couple of different sizes, so just make sure before you order. If you're looking to buy a knob from someone on the board, post 4 more times and then you'll be allowed into the classified section.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      My Model 6 arrived today and given that it was an ebay deal ($330 BIN) I was expecting a few surprises. Overall it is in good shape with just a bunch of small surface nicks but no real dings or chips. There is some cracking of the clear coat and finish by the nut but still overall a great deal.

-Any real issues with replacing the Jackson tremolo to a Schaller or Floyd? Are the real Floyds worth that huge price increase or will a Schaller or even a Mighty Mite still be better than that Jackson tremolo?

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all, at the moment i have an OFR on my Model 6, and it works great...i even used the existing poles that the trem pivots on, and it works just fine...

Comment

An Allparts black dome knob will fit & look exactly the same. I just bought some recently & a 2-pack was about $10. An OFR or Schaller is an improvement, for sure, but if your JT-6 is in good shape you might as well try it out for a while. I don't think they're as horrible as some people seem to think, but I did swap out the one on my Model 6 for a Floyd because the knife edges & string lock screws were really showing their age. As for the pickups without the midboost, the J-50BC won't miss it as much as the J-200s will. They really need it, imo.

Comment

I hope that I do not offend the people out there that remain loyal to the original JT-6 but I have found mine to be total trash. I tore it apart and cleaned it thoroughly before reassembling it and it is just so "second rate" as compared to a Schaller which I have been used to.

My question is, looking through ebay today I notice a few non-branded tremolos that sure look like the Schaller. Some are from Mighty Mite and some sell for as low as $60 new.

The OFR seems to be selling for a minimum of $100 so that might be a little steep for me unless it is miles ahead of the rest. Is it? Or will the Schaller copies (like the Mighty Mite) do the trick?

Thanks all!

Comment

I would hold out for a real Schaller or OFR.Also keep and eye out for the Jackson or Charvel loged Schaller like this Pic 1 Pic 2 The cheap ones are not going to be much better than the JT-6.
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

So if I am to understand a Floyd stamped with the Jackson logo will still be made by Schaller?

Should there not also be a "Made In Germany" stamp as well?

Jackson Stamped Floyd Rose

Comment

Yes. A floyd stamped with "Jackson" or "Cahrvel" should be made by Schaller. The Schaller in my 650xl is stamped "Schaller."

I believe that they should also be stamped "made in Germany" somewhere. Mine is.

Comment

This is where the confusion starts with me because I have seen some that are stamped "Jackson" and also "Made in Germany" just above the collar while others are stamped simply "Jackson"

Is it a golden rule that anything stamped "Jackson" is made by Schaller even if it is missing the second "Made in Germany" stamp?

I am more confused than ever as I do not wish to spend all that money on an ebay auction and be delivered another dog like the original JT-6 that I have. Living in Canada I have an exchange rate to deal with, expensive shipping, not to mention the highway robbery known as Canada Customs!

On the other hand I would love an OFR but they are way too pricey for me. The cheapest one right now on ebay is $119.00 so a good quality Schaller will do just fine as long as I know what i am buying.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    This is where the confusion starts with me because I have seen some that are stamped "Jackson" and also "Made in Germany" just above the collar while others are stamped simply "Jackson"

Is it a golden rule that anything stamped "Jackson" is made by Schaller even if it is missing the second "Made in Germany" stamp?

I am more confused than ever as I do not wish to spend all that money on an ebay auction and be delivered another dog like the original JT-6 that I have. Living in Canada I have an exchange rate to deal with, expensive shipping, not to mention the highway robbery known as Canada Customs!

On the other hand I would love an OFR but they are way too pricey for me. The cheapest one right now on ebay is $119.00 so a good quality Schaller will do just fine as long as I know what i am buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">No, it is not always true. Some of the Jackson stamped trems were made from "takuechi" and that name is stamped on the sustain block. The Takeuchi trems have hardened baseplates which are not too bad of a trem but not as good as an actual floyd. Have a look here to help you sort things out:

Trem info page </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                    X